As summertime comes to an end, a new season arrives – and it’s full of hope, promise and lots of fun! From pumpkin carving to fall hikes, we made a list of some exciting activities to add to your sober living plan this season. Take a look and add your fall favorites.
- Pick some pumpkins. A day of pumpkin picking is the perfect sober activity to enjoy the season. There are tons of pumpkin patches around Austin, including Barton Hill Farms, Evergreen Farms, Sweet Berry Farms, The Jersey Barnyard and Red Barn Garden Center. Pick a perfect pumpkin to decorate or carve – and don’t forget to dig out and roast the vitamin-rich pumpkin seeds!
- Experiment with pumpkin everything. Fall means pumpkins, but that doesn’t have to mean pumpkin pies. There’s so many healthful ways to enjoy this fiber-filled fruit. You can add pumpkin to everything from chili to hummus to smoothies to low-fat muffins.
- Organize a friendly game. You don’t have to just sit on a couch or visit a bar to enjoy football season – get outside and enjoy a game of touch football with recovery friends or family members. The fresh air will do you good! Just be sure to set ground rules, like no tackling and pushing.
- Go on a hike. Austin’s nature pathways are ideal for stunning Autumn scenery, so make an effort to get outside and take in all the beauty this season. Research shows that being in nature helps us destress. Some favorite fall hikes: McKinney Falls State Park’s Homestead Trail, Wild Basin Wilderness Preserve, The Zilker Nature Preserve, Mount Bonnell, Post Oak Trail at The Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge and Bull Creek Greenbelt Trail.
- Start a gratitude journal. With Thanksgiving around the corner, you might be feeling extra appreciative of your new sober life this year. Write one thing you’re thankful for each day to keep you motivated and feeling warm and fuzzy this fall season.
Recovery Support This Season and Beyond
The first year of recovery is challenging and clients can use all the stay-sober tools they can get. During this time, we provide recovery coaching, case management, monitoring, family engagement and accountability for both the client and their family. To learn more about our holistic approach to aftercare, call us today: 866-905-4550.